Hallam FC

Playing football since 1860 at Sandygate, The Worlds Oldest Football Ground

Hallam progress in the FA Vase via the long route

Lower Breck

Lower Breck 1 - 1 Hallam FC

Hallam win 4-1 on penalties

Hallam FC was given a bye into this round of the FA Vase and was drawn away to Lower Breck of the Northern Counties West League which is at the same level as Hallam.

Lower Breck made it through to this round after beating Penistone Church a few weeks ago.

The game started at a fast pace with Lower Breck notching up most of the early possession statistics. Hallam soon grew into the game and with a ball played out to the left finding Iren Wilson this looked like the opening opportunity. Wilson ran into the Lower Breck box and following an attempted clearance the ball bobbled past the diving keeper leaving Wilson will a seemingly open net, this left the keeper will no other option but to prevent Wilson reaching the ball by bringing him down. Unfortunately, this is not the series of events as viewed by the ref and a penalty was waved away.

During the next Hallam attack a ball was lobbed into the box and chased by Ollie Fearon who collided heavily with the out coming Lower Break keeper. Fearon was down for some time receiving treatment before a wheelchair was brough out to wheel Fearon off for further treatment.

The first half ended at 0-0.

The second half opened with pace, and it was again Lower Breck who gained most of the possession although most of this was in their own half as Hallam changed their tactics and sat back.

Hallam continued to show their spirit and nearly made the breakthrough as a rifled shot by Brandon Bradbury was cleared off the line by a Lower Break defender, there was some debate if a hand was used but the referee waved away the protest.

10 minutes later and Hallam had the ball in the net, again the referee intervened and judged that Ward had handled the ball into the net. Ward was then subsequently handed a yellow card for his troubles.

As the game looked to end in a goalless deadlock and in the 89th minute, Lower Breck scored with a well taken shot from just outside the Hallam penalty area flying past Douglas and into the back of the net.

The “never say die” attitude of the Hallam team emerged once again and just as the Lower Breck supporters were singing “Wembley, Wembely!!!” Hallam was awarded a penalty. This was duly dispatched by Danny Buttle to bring the game level at 1-1.

Just before full time a second yellow to Daniel Pudil had him walking off for an early bath.

And then it was onto Penalties,

Buttle up first for Hallam and dispatches his second of the game. 1-0

Lower Breck Equalise. 1-1

Scott Ruthven makes it 2-1.

Lower Brecks second is saved by Douglas. 2-1

Austin slots past the keeper to make it 3-1.

Lower Brecks next penalty missed the post and goes wide. 3-1

Beaston steps up and scores to make it 4-1 on penalties winning the game.


Big thanks to the Lower Breck Committee and Volunteers, great facilities and a banging Chicken Curry and Rice.

We had some great conversations with the Lower Breck supporters and we wish you all the best for the remainder of the season.


Hallam FC

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information Ok Decline