Hallam FC

Playing football since 1860 at Sandygate, The Worlds Oldest Football Ground

Tight game at South Liverpool but Hallam progress

South Liverpool v Hallam FC

South Liverpool FC 1 - 2 Hallam FC

Hallam FC book their place in the next round of the FA Vase after victory away to South Liverpool.

On arrival to the Jericho Lane sports centre the Hallam FC team and committee were greeted to one of the friendliest welcomes we have ever had. The wonderful set of volunteers at South Liverpool FC continued throughout the day to make our trip an enjoyable one. A great turn out by the Hallam FC faithful who travelled to Merseyside to watch the match. The countrymen certinely made their presents known during the game. 

On the pitch, the first half was tough for both sides as they tried to get the measure of each other. Hallam retained most of the possession in the South Liverpool half, but most chances were dealt with well by the South Liverpool defence.

It was South Liverpool who were looking more likely to score with a couple of counter attacks which left the Hallam defence wanting on several occasions. The resilience of the Hallam defence and Miles Wright in the net prevented Hallam going behind.

The Hallam attacks kept coming from both left and right wings, Liam Royles and Brandon Bradbury both creating good chances but the South Liverpool defence and keeper were all keeping equal to the attacks.   

Hallam’s best chance of the first half was a break down the right which found the ball in the South Liverpool penalty area, as the ball ricocheted around it fell to Brett Agnew who blasted it at the goal from a tight angle, the keeper saved and parried for a corner.

The second half started and with the first attack of the game, Liam Royles ran into the penalty area with only one defender to beat, he slid the ball low across the ground past the keepers left side and into the South Liverpool goal. 0-1

South Liverpool reacted quickly and dusted them selves off. A few runs into the Hallam penalty box gave the travelling Countrymen a few dropped heart beats. The Hallam defence were now fully deployed and with some fine keeping from Wright the score remained the same.

South Liverpool found an equaliser in the 53rd minute, a fine run down the right side and the ball was picked up on the corner of the penalty area. The player shot bending the ball into the top corner of Wrights goal, and it went in off the upright. A fine goal from South Liverpool, the quality was fully appreciated by the travelling Hallam fans. 1-1

Craig Denton made a substitution with Scott Ruthven coming on for Brett Agnew. One minute later Ruthven appeared one on one with the keeper following a fine through ball, even though Ruthven started his run from Hallam half when the ball was played, he was adjudged offside by the officials. Ruthven voiced his disagreement of the decision to the Referee and was subsequently sin binned for decent.

With Hallam down to 10 men for the next ten minutes it was squeaky bum time, but the Hallam defence and Wright kept the score level.

Ruthven came back on the pitch and two minutes later scored to put Hallam back in the lead. 1-2

In the dying minutes of the game Ruthven put the ball in the net again but offside was flagged on a previous pass. Ruthven also should have scored his second but was thwarted by some unbelievable defending by South Liverpool, the defender clearing the ball off the line in what appeared to be an impossible task.

Hallam FC come out 1-2 winners and we look forward to the next round of the FA Vase.

A big thanks again to the Committee and Volunteers at South Liverpool FC, friendly, courteous and welcoming throughout our day.


Hallam FC Media

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information Ok Decline