This is where the match report would go

A disappointing day for Hallam as they were narrowly beaten by second placed Campion AFC.

In an enthralling game Hallam began as the better team as they forced the opposing defenders to make some crucial clearances. Hallam’s encouraging passage of play continued with Iren Wilson drove into the box whilst continuously being impeded until finally a penalty was awarded. It was a reward for the impressive start that Hallam had made with the penalty coming in the 9th minute.

Danny Buttle stepped up to take the penalty and hit the post before it rebounded off the goalkeeper and petered into the grateful hands of Brad Emerson. Hallam continued to put pressure on the Campion goal with Iren Wilson continuing to be a catalyst.

Campion began to grow into the game after the first 15 mins with Nathan Cartman heading over from a corner in the 17th minute, a chance he should have probably scored, Nicky Boshell should have also scored for Campion after intercepting a short pass but skewed his shot wide from the right-hand side of the box.

After missing two good chances, Campion finally capitalised in the 27th minute after great link up play between Patrick Sykes and Stephen Crawford who smashed it into the top left-hand corner.

Campion continued this great pressure with Hugo Warhurst forced to deny an effort from close range after link up play once again by Sykes and Crawford. Five minutes before half time Campion doubled their lead after with Sykes tapping home after Nathan Cartman fired a shot in from the left hand which after a Warhurst save fell into the path of Sykes.

Hallam headed into the break with work to do.

A Hallam defensive error at the beginning of the second half led to Nathan Cartwright dispatching his second of the game. Hallam continued to battle despite the score line with pressure applied to the Campion goal with an effort from Scott Ruthven on the turn going down the keeper’s throat. Just before the hour mark Hallam made changes with Corey Pick and Callum Ward entering the fray.

The changes rejuvenated the team as Iren Wilson lashed a shot into the side netting in the 63rd minute, Wilson continued his impressive performance forcing Emerson into a low save, when hope seemed to be dissipating Brandon Bradbury produced a brilliant piece of skill in the middle of the park and slipped a bail into the box where Hallam managed to earn a penalty.

This time Danny Buttle scored firing it low and hard into the bottom left. With 12 minutes to go Hallam had a lifeline. Hallam battled for the next 10 minutes but were almost hit on the counter when Crawford had a dipping effort tipped over the bar by Warhurst.

In the last seconds of normal time Callum Ward scored after deftly redirecting a swerving cross into the left-hand side of the goal. Hallam rallied but could not quite find a late equaliser in 6 minutes of added time.

Despite the loss it was another positive performance for the team to build on as they look forward to next weekend’s historic game.

Carlos Fellows

<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”” title=”YouTube video player” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share” allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comments are closed